Thousands of childcare workers around the country could walk off the job on July 15 after union members voted in favour of mass industrial action.
Thousands of childcare workers around the country could walk off the job on July 15 after union members voted in favour of mass industrial action.
Early childhood educators will down tools for one day in protest of the 2026 Federal Budget, which did not include the billions of dollars in funding needed to support an ongoing 15 per cent pay increase.
Over 20,000 educators from 1000 centres in Australia had signed an open letter demanding the government to permanently lock in the pay increase.
READ MORE: 'Won't be some socialist takeover': Pauline Hanson unveils gas policy
EXPLAINER: Australia ranks among the richest countries. So why do we feel 'poor'?
Hundreds of union members endorsed the walk-outs at a meeting earlier this week in response to the budget.
Childcare workers say they won't be able to survive on the industry's minimum wage as the cost of living bites.
"Educators are making it clear: they will not accept going backwards," the United Workers Union (UWU) said in a statement.
"Without action, many educators face a pay cut before the full Fair Work Commission outcome takes effect.
"This isn't about asking for something new, educators are fighting to stop losing pay they already have."
The UWU has members in every state and territory who plan to stop work and join a rally on July 15.
Around 500 childcare centres in Victoria alone signed the letter.
Union member and Goodstart early educator Clare said that while the one-day strike will be difficult for families, it will help shape a more stable and thriving sector.
"While the walk-off in the interim will be really hard for families to navigate, the long-term impact that it will have on our sector, and the future generations of children and families coming into our services, we will have a higher-quality educational services that really amplify children's learning," Clare said.
"Right now it will be hard, the long-term impact will be magnificent."
READ MORE: Man charged for unthinkable act amid the chaos of Bondi terror attack
LIVE UPDATES: Trump suggests 'he'll be the one' to intervene in Cuba
The federal government delivered a 15 per cent pay rise for early childhood educators in December, which amounted to an extra $160 per week for the average worker.
The $3.6 billion in funding, which has already "improved retention, reduce vacancies and bring more stability to the sector" will run out in November.
This year's budget did not extend this worker retention payment.
Greens senator Steph Hodgins-May claimed early childhood educators had been "shafted" in the budget.
"Thousands of early educators are now facing a Christmas pay cut because Labor refused to extend a payment they themselves boast that the sector depends on," she said.
"These are workers already leaving in droves because of burnout, low wages and now uncertainty about their future. Labor looked at that crisis and decided to make it worse."
Minister for Early Childhood Education Jess Walsh said the government would have "more to say later this year on the next steps to support this workforce" when discussing the budget's early childcare policies on May 15.
Nine.com.au has contacted Federal Minister for Education Jason Clare for comment.
NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.
- Download the 9NEWS App here via Apple and Google Play
- Make 9News your preferred source on Google by ticking this box here
- Sign up to our breaking newsletter here

