Dozens arrested in Port of Newcastle climate change protest

More coal ships were blocked from entering the Port of Newcastle as protesters on kayaks and other small vessels gathered.

Dozens of climate change protesters have been arrested amid further disruptions at the world's largest coal port.

More coal ships were blocked from entering the Port of Newcastle today as Rising Tide protesters on kayaks and other small vessels called for taxes on fossil fuel export profits and an end to new coal developments.

Police said 141 people, including 18 children, believed to be associated with the multi-day event had been arrested by 4.30pm today.

Of the 123 adults arrested, most were charged with various offences under the Crimes and Marine Safety while inquiries continued into two women arrested on board a ship. 

Footage from today showed a banner reading "phase out coal and gas" being unfurled by two people hanging from the side of the vessel.

The Port Authority of NSW reportedly said four ships were disrupted on Sunday, including two not linked to coal. 

"Our intention was to stop coal ships from entering or leaving the Port of Newcastle and we've succeeded in doing this today," Rising Tide organiser Zack Schofield said.

"By continuing to approve new coal and gas mines, the Albanese government is failing to protect us from the worst impacts of climate change and when the government fails us, the people must rise."

Police alleged one boat, driven by a 26-year-old protester collided with a police jet ski that gave chase after the larger vessel refused to stop as it entered an exclusion zone. 

About 11.20am, a fight "allegedly involving attendees of the event" was reported at Foreshore Park. 

Police said a 46-year-old man was taken to Calvary Mater Hospital in a stable condition after suffering lacerations to his back, arms, legs, and head, and a 17-year-old boy who intervened was also injured. 

An 18-year-old was charged with two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm (DV) and other offences. 

"The NSW Police Force recognises and supports the rights of individuals and groups to exercise their rights of free speech and peaceful assembly," Police said, in a statement.

"However, the priority for NSW Police is always the safety of the wider community and there will be zero tolerance for illegal and dangerous behaviour.

Organisers say they are looking to stall new coal developments and tax fossil fuel export profits.

Newcastle sends 150 million tonnes of coal offshore annually.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

More from Latest News